Wednesday, September 6, 2023

25 Navarrete

The Albergue manager is a red-haired man from Texas, US named Anthoni, a French-American who is fluent in multiple languages. He exudes charm and is quite talkative.

As I approached the Albergue, I noticed Anthoni sitting outside, engrossed in a book. I greeted him with a "Hola" and introduced myself in Spanish, but to my surprise, he responded in English.

Later, I discovered that Anthoni had lived in the United States for many years, which explained his fluence in English. We engaged in a pleasant conversation before he showed me to my room. I happened to be the first guest to arrive at the Auberge that day.

After settling in and taking a refreshing shower, I ventured into town for a meal and ended up at Bar Provitivo. While enjoying my food and wine on the outdoor patio, I noticed another solo walker looking for a table. I waved to her and invited her to join me.

During our conversation, I learned that her name was Rita, hailing from Belgium, and she had been walking the Camino every year since 2003! I was delighted to finally meet someone who spoke fluent English. Towards the end of our meal, we both decided to make reservations at the same Albergue in Najera for the following day. Initially, I hadn't planned to make a reservation, but Rita informed me that accommodations in Najera tend to fill up quickly, so I thought it wise to secure a spot. We pulled out our phones and used different apps to make our reservations. When my call didn't go through, Rita generously offered her phone, mentioning it was free to use. From that day onward, Rita and I continued to stay at the same Albergue several more times until she completed her Camino pilgrimage.

Upon returning to the Albergue, I noticed Riki and Erica sitting outside, conducting interviews with Anthonio. It was quite a coincidence that we had met again and were staying at the same place since our initial encounter many days ago.

Inside the Albergue's dining room, I observed numerous certificates hanging on the wall, showcasing the Albergue owner, Angel's, achievements in walking the Camino routes all over the world.

For dinner, I purchased some Italian dumplings from a local grocery store and intended to cook them in the kitchen. However, Anthonio informed me that the kitchen was not meant for pilgrims to use for cooking. I was surprised since it was the first time, I had encountered such a rule in an Albergue with a functional kitchen. Anthonio kindly made an exception for me but requested that I keep it discreet. I assured him I would.

That night, I experienced my first stay in a smaller Albergue, with only nine occupants, including a father and daughter duo from America (Columbus, Ohio) named Rick and Elena. At first, I assumed they were a couple, but I later learned during our Camino journey that they are father and daughter, as Rick appeared remarkably youthful. Elena had to clarified to fellow pilgrims that he was indeed her father.

No comments:

Post a Comment