Monday, October 9, 2023

34 San Juan de Ortega

San Juan de Ortega is a very small town. As soon as I reached it, I arrived my Albergue "El Desanso de San Juan," for which both Rita and I had made reservations last night. Rita had arrived around 11 am, and I arrived around noon.  It was a very small albergue, with 3 rooms and each with 3-4 beds on the upper floor.  The first floor is the bar and restaurant and with a nice outdoor patio. Rita and I shared a 3-bed room with another young woman. Rita occupied a single bed, while I settled into a bunk bed with our new roommate.

After check in and showered, Rita and I had lunch in our albergue patio then we went explored the town and visited the Monastery.  San Juan de Ortega 's significance on the pilgrimage is primarily due to its association with St. John of Ortega.

 San Juan de Ortega is named after St. John of Ortega, a 12th-century Spanish saint and architect. He was a key figure in the construction of Monastery of San Juan de Ortega, which he founded. St. John is also credited with building bridges and roads along the Camino de Santiago to aid pilgrims on their journey. The monastery's cloister is particularly renowned for its intricate sculptures.

Within the monastery complex, there is a beautiful Gothic church dedicated to St. John. It contains his tomb and is a place of prayer and reflection for pilgrims and visitors.

Rita and I again had dinner in our cozy little Albergue restaurant before rest for the day.

Our Cozy Little Algergue
A good meal with my friend and nice weather, life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment