Monday, June 26, 2023

5 The Essentials for Walking Caminos

I've always had a passion for walking and hiking, but I had never walked with a backpack or for multiple consecutive days. After watching numerous YouTube videos, I realized the importance of getting proper walking gear, so I decided to visit REI, a renowned outdoor gear store. I am grateful that I did, as I credit them for helping me avoid blisters on the Camino. Here are the essential items I considered for walking the Camino:

1)Shoes: HOKA trail runners

REI recommended HOKA trail runners for me. They measured my feet and suggested a size 7.5, which is one size up from my normal shoe size. I wore Merino wool socks with the shoes for added comfort.

2)Backpack: Osprey 38L with back support

It is crucial to wear the backpack correctly, a lesson I learned from other walkers along the way.

3)Lightweight down sleeping bag and bag liner

Most hostels and albergues do not provide them, except for disposable bed and pillow covers.

4)Sunscreen

Apply it to your face, arms, and legs, as they are exposed to the sun.

5)Lightweight sun hat

Protect your face from the sun's rays.

6)Dove soap

Dove soap is gentle and suitable for washing your face, unlike the solid soap bars you may encounter (although they may be more convenient).

7)Quick-dry towel for showering

8)Sandals to wear after walking

9)Portable phone charger

Since my phone quickly ran out of battery, this was a valuable insurance to ensure it stayed charged.

10) Packet size camera

capturing the beauty of the Camino

11)Helpful apps

Buen Camino: Provides step-by-step instructions, distances, route profiles, names of albergues, and other information.

Google Maps: Type in your desired destination and mode of transportation (car, walk, bike, or public transportation), and Google will provide step-by-step directions.

Gronze.com: Functions similarly to the Buen Camino app but with additional information.

I noticed that many walkers wore hiking boots, but I personally didn't find them necessary as we were walking rather than climbing. Some walkers also wore gaiters with socks, which I didn't quite understand.

Here are some recommended items that I found no need to bring:

-Electrolytes: I found that my diet and snacks provided sufficient electrolytes.

-Bug repellent: During May and June, there were no bugs.

-Headlamp: I used my smartphone instead.

-Walking sticks: while commonly used by many pilgrims on the Camino, are indeed optional. Some walkers find them beneficial for added stability and support, especially during challenging terrain or descents. However, personal preferences and individual circumstances may lead some to choose not to use walking sticks.

For instance, you made the decision not to walk with walking sticks due to considerations such as weight and the need to have your hands free for other tasks, like holding a camera. This choice allowed you to have more flexibility and convenience during your journey, focusing on capturing the beauty of the Camino while maintaining a comfortable stride.

It's important to note that the use of walking sticks varies among pilgrims, and each person can choose what works best for them based on their own needs and preferences. I chose not to have them.

Lastly, walking the Camino can be mentally and physically challenging. However, there are no set rules regarding how many kilometers you must walk each day. It's essential to know your limits and try to avoid injury or illness.

I consider myself lucky for not getting injured or developing any blisters. I met people who had to seek help for a taxi when they couldn't complete their walks. I also encountered an 80-year-old man who collapsed on the first day and had to be sent to the hospital. Prior to my trip, a friend shared a story about someone who passed away while walking the Camino.

No comments:

Post a Comment